My grandmother wishes to be cremated not buried. Is there a legal document she can have drawn up that adheres to her wishes?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My grandmother wishes to be cremated not buried. Is there a legal document she can have drawn up that adheres to her wishes?

My grandmother is 90 years old & only speaks spanish. She continues to be of sound mind. Though her original plan was to be buried with her husband, she has changed her mind in the last few years and wishes to be cremated, not buried. Her sons, bold as they are, have informed her that her wishes will not be fulfilled and will be buried as originally planned. There is no will, living will or any other document stating her final wishes.

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Estate Planning, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Florida attorney, so I can't be sure there isn't a simpler way to do this.  But I'm pretty sure that if your grandmother makes a will, she can make a legally binding plan for her remains, and she has the right to name an executor in the will and give him or her the power to see to her cremation.  In many states, a person can also make a provision in their will that takes away all or some of what it gives to anyone who disputes the will.  Your grandmother should talk to a lawyer, and have her own wishes put into writing in the proper way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption