What can I do if my grandmother passed a few years ago but I have not received my inheritance?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my grandmother passed a few years ago but I have not received my inheritance?

My grandmother passed a few years ago and left all of her grandchildren, including myself, $1,100. My aunt managed the distribution of wealth and my brother and I have not received our inheritance; were instead told that we were to receive it on completion of high school.

My cousins have all received their money yet the money stays in my aunt’s savings account gaining interest. Should the money have not been given to me? Do I have the right to demand the money so I can earn interested or spend it? Also, can I take her to court to get the amount any interest earned on it since it was my inheritance, not hers?

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to get in touch with a probate attorney.  It sounds like the estate has already been submitted to probate, but there may be an issue with how the funds have or have not been distributed.  If there were funds that were to be given to you, then those funds should have been placed into a trust acount for you and you should receive the funds plus interest.  If the funds have been mishandled, then you may need to file a suit for enforcement of the probate or breach of fiduciary duty.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption