If my grandmother died 5 years ago but my father predeceased her, am I entitled to anything from her estate?

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 21, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandmother died 5 years ago but my father predeceased her, am I entitled to anything from her estate?

She had 2 kids – my father and my aunt. My father was killed 25 years ago. I was told I was entitled to what would have been my father’s half. Am I too late?

Asked on March 21, 2015 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Were you a minor when she passed?Were you given notice of the probate of the estate?  Did she die with or wothout a Will?  Yes, you could be too late but if you can do anything now depends on the answer to those questions.  Under Kentucky intestacy laws (when you die without a Will) you would have received your Father's share of your Grandmother's estate. So please go and speak with an attorney asap. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption