If my grandma just passed and left everything in the Will to me and the estate is small, do I have to file for probate?

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandma just passed and left everything in the Will to me and the estate is small, do I have to file for probate?

The house will only sell for about $160,000. My cousion’s name is on the house bu she provided me a quit claim deed before my grandma passed. I just don’t know what my next steps are.

Asked on April 24, 2013 under Estate Planning, Utah


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to find out from the court if it has an estate minimum to allow for probate to be opened. If it does, and there are items that need to be probated, you must file probate. If, however, the house has been in your name since before your grandma's death, then there is no issue unless there is a mortgage note that would need to be addressed. Same applies to bank accounts and the like. If you are named as a beneficiary, then you don't need to probate those.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption