If my grandfather passed away and left a Will leaving me with $25,000, how can I get it?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandfather passed away and left a Will leaving me with $25,000, how can I get it?

One of the requirements to aquire the amount is to open a bank account. The problem is my mother wants to open the account on both our names but I only want to open it under my name alone. Since she refuses to give me the check or the Will so I can open an account myself, what should I do?

Asked on August 18, 2015 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Are you over the age of 18?  If the answer is yes she can not force that the account be opened with her name as well.  And even if you are a minor she can not with hold the inheritance to get her way rather than complying with the wishes of your Grandfather.  If there is another adult you trust I would ask for help and throw around phrasesd like "breach of fiduciary duty" and file a request for an accounting with the Probate Court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption