If my grandfather passed away and he had no Will, who is in charge of his estate?

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandfather passed away and he had no Will, who is in charge of his estate?

My uncle’s wife wants everything to go her way. However, since she’s just an in-law, does she have a legal right to have any say?

Asked on January 17, 2015 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First of all, since you did not mention one I will assume that your grandfather did not have a surviving spouse (if he did then she would have a share of the estate as determined by applicable state law).

in a case in which someone dies without a Will, their next of kin (i.e. nearest blood relatives) become the legal heirs of their estate. Here this means that it would be your uncle and his siblings (i.e. your grandfather's children), not your aunt by marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption