What are my rights to my late grandfather’s estate?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to my late grandfather’s estate?

My grandfather passed away as did my grandmother (his wife). He only had one child, my mother, who passed away when I was 2 years old. My grandfather wanted to sign his property over to me before he passed but never did. Now my aunt is trying to sell his land. What can I do? She is not his child, my mother was his only child.

Asked on September 4, 2013 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You are probably your grandfather's heir, and would inherit his house. It depends on whether he had a will, whether he remarried, whether you have brothers and sisters who would also inherit, and whether the house was in his name or in a trust. 

You could start a probate case for your grandfather, and ask the court to name you as his estate's administrator. Your situation could be complicated. You should speak to a local probate attorney.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption