Can I claim a inheritance if there is no Will?

UPDATED: Dec 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I claim a inheritance if there is no Will?

My grandfather passed away in the late 90s, and was survived by his spouse who wasn’t my grandmother. At that time I was living in Russia and she traveled to meet with me and to tell me that after she passes, the property that they bought together would go to me. I’m not aware that there was any formal Will. Since then I moved to US but didn’t try to contact her and nor did she. Recently, I learned that there indeed is property that is in her name. However, there’s also the name of another person and the name of the town on the title/mortgage and it’s listed as a trust. I don’t understand what it means. I’m not sure if she’s deceased or alive. What can do to find out?

Asked on December 25, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Obtain yourself a probate trust attorney to determine your inheritance rights per the trust, and if no trust, than by right of succession. If the property was transferred by a trust to someone else, you may not have any inheritance rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption