If my grandfather died intestate, what are my rights to his estate?

UPDATED: May 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandfather died intestate, what are my rights to his estate?

He left a house and the deed is in his name; the taxes are up to date. The closest living relative is one daughter who does not want the property and then the oldest grandson, who also doesn’t want it. I am the next oldest grandchild. What do i have to do to get this property?

Asked on May 28, 2013 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a petition with the court for the intestacy proceeding concerning your grandfather's estate. You aunt and cousin as well as other relatives need to be served with the proceeding. If your aunt and cousin do not want the property, they can file a disclaimer with the court where you might ent up owning it. I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption