If my grandfather died and my father is his only child, do I have any rights?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandfather died and my father is his only child, do I have any rights?

My grandfather died. He also owned a home in another state, which I am told has

sold. No one is paying the taxes on his other home. Ownership states estate of my

grandfather. My father is his only child. Do I have any rights? What happens

if my father does not pay the real estate taxes?

Asked on April 27, 2017 under Estate Planning, New Hampshire


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your grandfather had a Will, then that controls who is entited to share in his estate. If your grandfather died without a Will (i.e. "intestate"), then state law controls. Typically,  in such a case an estate is distributes to the surviving spouse, if any, and to the children of the deceased. Accordingly, if your grandfather was not married at the time of his death and your father was his only child, then your father is the sole heir. As a grandchild you have no rights of inheritance in this case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption