My grandaughter took my car

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My grandaughter took my car

My unlicensed granddaughter and her friend took my uninsured car and hit other people. They did not have permission Her friend was driving. I filed a police report and signed a statement. I live with my ex husband as friends and my name is on nothing of his. House car etc. Will him or I be liable?

Asked on July 9, 2018 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) If he is not an owner of the car, there are no grounds to sue him; living with someone does not make you liable for any claims against them. Only a car's owner or its driver may be liable for an accident.
2) If you let your granddaughter drive, you would be liable if she were "at fault" in causing the accident (e.g. driving negligently or carelessly). But if she took the car without your permission--which means she stole it and you filed a police report for car theft, since taking someone's car without permission is stealing it--you would not be liable; a car's owner is not liable for the actions of a criminal who stole her car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption