If someone left their ex-spouse as the beneficiary on their life insurance policy what, if anything, can be done?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone left their ex-spouse as the beneficiary on their life insurance policy what, if anything, can be done?

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Insurance Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Life insurance benefits are paid to the named beneficiary regardless of their status as an ex-spouse. Generally, divorce has no effect on who is designated to receive these benefits; ex-spouse's are not automatically removedas the beneficiary. Unfortunately, many people name their spouse as their life insurance beneficiary but fail to update their policies in the event of divorce.

That having been said, there are instances where an ex-spouse is not eligible to collect life insurance benefits. For example, if the insurance policy contains a provision that excludes a beneficiary spouse from receiving benefits if spousal status does not exist at the time of the insured’s death. Additionally, a divorce decree may provide that the ex-spouse is no longer eligible to receive these proceeds. Finally, some states have enacted laws that revoke a spouse’s beneficiary rights upon divorce.

At this point you should consult directly with an attorney and have them advice you further under applicable state law. Also, theycan check the original divorce decree to see if the issue was addressed, as well as checking the language in the policy itself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption