If my girlfriend went to an abortion clinic to get the procedure done but all of the fetus was not removed, can I sue the clinic for malpractice or at least get my money back?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my girlfriend went to an abortion clinic to get the procedure done but all of the fetus was not removed, can I sue the clinic for malpractice or at least get my money back?

A couple days later she experienced extreme cramping, heavy bleeding and a very high fever. I then took her to the emergency room. They examined her and that’s when we found out that all the fetus was not removed.

Asked on November 29, 2014 under Malpractice Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, if there is a worthwhile cause of action, it's your girlfriend--not you--who could sue; she is the person who was injured, and being her boyfriend does not give you any legal standing or relationship to bring s lawsuit on her behalf. ("Girlfriend" is not a legally recognized relationship, like "wife" is.)

Second, she may have a cause of action, in the sense of there being liability: if the clinic were, as it may well have been, negligent, or careless, in not removing all the fetus, they would have been at fault. However, even if there is liability or fault, it might not be a worthwhile case: in a malpractice case, all you can recover is your out-of-pocket medical costs, lost wages (if any), other direct out-of-pocket costs, and--for conditions causing long lasting or permanent impairment, disability, or disfigurement, some amount of "pain and suffering" compensation. However, if your girlfried suffered for a few days before going the emergency room and having the problem rectified, she would not be entitled to much if any pain and suffering award, so likely, all she could recover is her own out-of-pocket emergency room costs. But to the get them, if the clinic doesn't want to voluntarily pay her, she'd have to sue; and to bring a malpractice suit, you *must* hire a medical expert, which is expensive. She could spend more on the lawsuit than she would get back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption