What to do if my girlfriend was homeless, living in her car and got a DUI?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my girlfriend was homeless, living in her car and got a DUI?

I had her move to another state where I had moved recenty. Is it possible to reschedule a court date? Will she be able to get out of community service if ordered? Will she be able to get a driver’s license here? This is her only crime ever so I’m assuming they’ll plea her down to DWAI but her moving here certainly complicates things.

Asked on March 9, 2013 under Criminal Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

She needs to deal with the charge in the state in which it was issued and not where you are living now.  And she needs to deal with it promptly or there could be a warrant issued for her.  Her license was most likely suspended and if the state in which she received the offense is one that subscribes to the Interstate Driver's License Compact agreement she will not be able to get a license in Nevada.  Now, she may be able to have the entire thing resolved in her favor if you get her an attorney and act quickly.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption