If my girlfriend and I recently broke up and she refuses to let me see my daughter?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my girlfriend and I recently broke up and she refuses to let me see my daughter?

My daughter is 3 months old; I was left off the birth certificate. They both live with her parents who have custody of her first daughter. She is never home and doesnt even take care of the child. The grandparents have told me I cannot see my daughter and that they will fight me for custody. What is my best course of action? I have already applied for child support/paternity tests. If I am the father, how can I get custody of my daughter?

Asked on November 4, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The way to get some semblance of custody of your daughter is to consult with a family law attorney about the situation that you are in and file a petition for paternity and child custody of your daughter since you are not the named father on the minor's birth certificate.

The other option is for the mother to sign a written stipulation for custody with you subject to a court order but such does not seem likely based upon what you have written.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption