What to do if my girlfiend is filing a police report aginst me regarding my selling her jewlery?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my girlfiend is filing a police report aginst me regarding my selling her jewlery?

We lived in a 1 bedroom apartment with both are names on the lease. I sold the jewlery to pay bills but now she is atempting to press charges. What concequenses am I looking at?

Asked on March 30, 2013 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I assume that she knew that you were doing this. If not, she may well have a legititmate complaint here. If you sold the jewelty with her permission, then you have a "he said/she said" situation. It will all come down to who the police believe. Clearly, if there are witnesses who can testitfy as the the fact that you had her consent to sell the items or there is something in writing, you will be in a much stronger position; if not things could get complicated for you.

At this point, you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney as to all of this. They will be in the best position to advise you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption