What to if my girlfriend told me to come over to visit her at her father’s house, and now her father wants to charge me with trespassing?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to if my girlfriend told me to come over to visit her at her father’s house, and now her father wants to charge me with trespassing?

My girlfriend allowed me on to the property and I did not know that her father would care. Can I fight this?

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely, you should fight this.  You have an excellent defense.  Trespass requires that you knowingly enter or remain unlawfully.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The father does have a right to bar you from his property, assuming that it is his (i.e. that he is the property owner or the tenant of a rental). However, since to be convicted of trespassing requires a criminal intent as well as the physical trespass, if you entered the home with an invitation from someone who lives there (even if she is not the homeowner or tenant), you would not have the requisite criminal intent and should have a good defense to the charge. If the police do contact you, simply explain what you wrote here: that your girlfriend invited you over and you thought you had permission; the police are unlikely to take further action.

Note the following:

1) If you did not leave after the father told you to, that changes the equation: remaining on the property after being told you had no right could subject to you criminal liability for "defiant trespassing," since remaining after you have notice that you cannot provides the necessary criminal intent.

2) If your girlfiend is actually an owner of the property, or a co-tenant on the lease with her father, or sublets (pays rent to) her father, then she *does* have the right, as someone with the right to possession of the property, to have you over and you would not be trespassing.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were invited to your girlfriend's father's home by your girlfriend and you were later charged with trespass by the father, you can fight the charge for the simple fact that you were induced to your detriment to go to the location where you were not wanted by your girlfriend.

Had you known that the father did not want you at his place, you would not have gone. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to further assist you with respect to the criminal charge that you are facing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption