What to do about an estate if my friend’s partner of 17 years died 15 years ago?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an estate if my friend’s partner of 17 years died 15 years ago?

The surviving partner was named executer of the Will and was left everything, including the home. He has not yet filed for probate. What taxes will he be liable for when he files? The estate was very small, mainly the house which is valued at approimately175k. He has been making the mortgage payments since the date of death.

Asked on August 5, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your friend would not be personally liable for any taxes. His partner's estate could be liable for taxes, but it probably isn't. An estate of that size should be exempt from estate taxes; and because its main asset is the house, the estate probably did not have enough income to make it liable for income taxes. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption