What to do ifsomeone owned a bar and passed away without a Will?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do ifsomeone owned a bar and passed away without a Will?

My friend’s father dies; he incorporated rather than doing a sole proprietorship. My friend wants nothing to do with the business and just wants to sell off whatever assets are left (chairs, pizza oven, mirrors, etc). If he does sell the items, does he get the keep the money after paying off all the bar debt? There is a brother and sister but neither want to be bothered with this.

Asked on February 22, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


S.J.H., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since he died without a will, the bar would pass through the estate through intestate succession. THat means that if there is no spouse, the children inherit equally. Someone has to file a petition in Surrogate's Court to be named the administrator of the estate. If the other siblings to not want to be involved they can expedite the process by filing a conset to this and a waiver of administration which means your friend would be in charge of settling the estate. He would then have to sell the shares of the corporation and any assets the corporation owns. (If he can't sell the corporation he can sell only the assets and dissolve the corporation). He would then have to split the money three ways. He would be entitled to get a fee for administering the estate which has to be approved by the Court. The siblkings could renounce their interest and let your friend inherit their share.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption