My friends brother signed everything to him before going to prison. he is now out and now wants 50%.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My friends brother signed everything to him before going to prison. he is now out and now wants 50%.

What rights does his brother have to demand 50% of property that he legally signed over?

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

That's going to depend on quite a few things, I think.  If your friend needs advice, he should see a lawyer in your area, give the lawyer the whole story.  One place your friend can find a qualified attorney is our website,

I'm not a Wisconsin lawyer, but in most states, an unconditional gift, or unconditional sale at less than full value, is final.  I'd suspect the brother might claim that the two of them had agreed, before the property was signed over, that he was going to get this 50%, and then it becomes a question of who is more believable on the witness stand.  The brother might also argue that your friend has been unjustly enriched, depending on the circumstances, but those same circumstances might indicate that the brother engineered the situation for his own benefit and so gets no help from the court.  This might be interesting.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption