What to do if my friend was wrongfully accused of attempted murder?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my friend was wrongfully accused of attempted murder?

The only evidence the victim has is his recollection of the incident and his girlfriend is the witness. However, video surveillance indicates that there were two attackers but the faces were covered by a rag of some sort. My friend had a history of violence but he didn’t do this crime. Is it possible that he can get convicted of a crime he did not commit?

Asked on March 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, New York


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Absolutely, it is possible that your friend can be convicted of a crime he did or did not commit.  Your friend needs to hire an experienced attorney right away.  Since you were not present, you are basing your belief merely on what you have been told by your friend.  The fact that your friend has a history of violence (and possibly convictions for violent crimes), will be a major problem for him.  An attorney can file discovery motions which requires the State to provide its evidence.  In the State's discovery, it will reveal what led the police to believe your friend was involved in this crime.  And depending on your friend's criminal history, he could possibly be charged as a rescidivist, which if convicted, could mean life in prison.  He needs to retain an experienced attorney immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption