If my friend bought a house 1 year before he was married, in a divorce what are his options regarding the house?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my friend bought a house 1 year before he was married, in a divorce what are his options regarding the house?

They have no kids together. She works at a bank and has 2 teenage daughters from a previous marriage from which she receives no support. I assume he’s getting unemployment but I don’t know. He has been laid off and I assume on unemployment. He is currently back in school for a 2nd degree. What are his options?

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for his situation.  Generally speaking, property purchased prior to marriage is separate property in a divorce.  However, that assumption can be rebutted if there can be shown an intent to make the property marital property.  Putting your wife on the deed, etc., shows intent. You have not stated how long they were married.   I think that he needs to speak with ana ttorney who can ask all the right questions to help him make a determination.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption