What are my rights if my former girlfriend and I started a personal training business together but it fell apart?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my former girlfriend and I started a personal training business together but it fell apart?

I was in charge of the managing the business, finding clients, marketing research etc. where she did most of the actual training. Business has been good over the past few years and we’ve saved about $45,000; we were in the process of becoming a LLC when things went south. We did not open either a joint or business banking account and the majority of the money we earned is in a savings account in her name. I have documentation of all the payments we have received over the years, but again as we did not incorporate the business most of the checks we received are made out to my former girlfriend. The training business was the primary source of income for both of us.

Asked on October 20, 2013 under Business Law, Missouri


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your ex-girlfriend is not willing to give you half of the money in the account, you may have to sue her for it.  If shounds like you have good documentation and should prevail if you do so.  Your position would be that you had an oral agreement (contract) to split the proceeds of the business and that she breached that agreement.  You may need to retain an attorney, but you may be able to recover attorneys' fees if you prevail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption