If my former employer will not give me my tools back, what can I do to get them back?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my former employer will not give me my tools back, what can I do to get them back?

I was sick when the shop closed and y former employer did not notify me but took all of my tools and put them in his storage locker. I went to the shop and he was there and he told me he put all my tools in his storage unit. I have been texting him asking for my tools but have not gotten a response back. It is around $12,000 of tools.

Asked on November 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your former employer for conversion, which is theft in a civil case.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) for conversion would be the value of your tools ($12,000).  Damages for conversion are the forced sale (value).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption