What to do if my former employer used my social security number without my permission to get me an office credit card?

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my former employer used my social security number without my permission to get me an office credit card?

I accidently used the credit card for personal things and admitted my fault and offered to make payments to pay off what was spent. Now my former boss has filed a claim with their insurance company and they sent me a letter saying they intend to recover what was charged in full. Should I call the insurance company to explain my side and is there anything else I can do? There was no written contract for credit card use.

Asked on July 23, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you in fact used the card to buy things for yourself, not for business, then even if you used the card "accidentally" or feel that you should  not have been issued it in the first place, you would be liable, or responsible, for those costs--the act of using the card, even if there was no contract regarding it, makes you liable. Therefore, if you fight this and force them to sue you, they will likely win; you may wish to consider trying to settle, such as with a payment plan you can afford.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption