What to do if my former employer is suing me for a civil demand in the amount of $356?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my former employer is suing me for a civil demand in the amount of $356?

When the loss prevention manager spoke to me after I was fired, I was told there would be no legal action taken since I was fired and was honest with him. What can I do? Im not employed anymore, can I fight this?

Asked on January 2, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Whether you can fight the claim depends on whether you actually did the thing they assert you did, which is giving rise to the claim. Say the employer claims you stole merchandise or took cash from a cash drawer; if you did not, and there is no good evidence that you did these things, then you should have a good defense. If you actually did whatever they allege, however, then they can likely recover it from you. The loss prevention manager's promise, made after you were already fired, is not a legally binging agreement, so it does not prevent them from suing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption