What to do if my former apartment complex has lodged a false report on my credit history?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my former apartment complex has lodged a false report on my credit history?

When I left, the apartment charged me for carpet replacement. After using up my deposit to offset the balance, they sent me a bill of $469. I disputed the amount via a letter to them and also requested for an amount they owed me for referring someone to the apartment. They agreed to pay the referral and also to take off $100 from my balance. I receieved an email to this effect stating that my net balanace would be less than $100, with no exact figures. I found out that the apartment went ahead and reported falsely on my credit report that I was owing $469. I need to sue for damage to my credit. My credit has gone so bad that I am having to pay higher APRs.

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you write the former property manager about the situation that you have recently discovered as to your credit and demand that its representative take care of the situation to your satisfaction by a set date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If the due date for compliance comes and goes, your option is to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to see what your legal recourse is. Note, establishing damages for a damaged credit report is typically hard to prove based upon my experience in such matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption