My finance passed away 3 months ago, do I have to pay a bill that has already gone to collections?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My finance passed away 3 months ago, do I have to pay a bill that has already gone to collections?

The estate has paid all his bills so far, but the daughter personal representative
wants me to pay this bill as she is getting the calls from the debt collector. It is
for a washer/dryer that was purchased by my fianc about 9 months ago and it
is in the condo that we shared. I still live here Florida.

Asked on April 17, 2017 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't have to pay unless you also bought the item; if it was bought solely by him, it is his debt only (and therefore, now a debt of his estate): being a fiance does not, by itself, make you liable for his debts. However, the estate (e.g. the daughter, if she is the executor or personal representative) could choose to not pay and allow the appliances to be repossessed: they are not obligated to pay for them so you can keep/use them, but can make the best economic decision for the estate or heirs, which may be to default and allow repossesson.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption