If my final court date is 2 years away, can I legally change my last name before my divorce is finalized?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my final court date is 2 years away, can I legally change my last name before my divorce is finalized?

I have been separated from my husband for 2 years and my final court date is not for another 2 years (due to our county court system being overwhelmed with cases). I’m pregnant with my boyfriend’s child and want to take on his last name. Is this possible to do before my divorce is finalized?

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your child's name really is not dependent on your name in terms of the last name. You would be able to change your name on your social security card and your drivers license by going to social security and then the DMV. This will allow you to have your maiden name. In terms of taking on your boyfriend's last name, you still might be able to do that but keep in mind that if you are only doing so for your child, your child's name is not dependant on your name.  If you simply wish to take on his last name, you may need to check on any state law limitations for changing your name to not just your maiden name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption