If my fiance would like to change his name to his mother’s maiden name, can he change it when we marry or must it be done prior?

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my fiance would like to change his name to his mother’s maiden name, can he change it when we marry or must it be done prior?

Also, if he changes his name, will he be voided from any inheritances by his paternal grandparents?

Asked on March 24, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your fiance' can change his surname at any time he wishes. What is required is filing a petition in your county's and state's superior court where you reside and having the petition published for a certain period of time. His name change in and of itself should have no effect upon any inheritance that he may receive.

He is still the same person named in a Will or trust. The name is just different if it gets legally changed. It would be the same if a woman marries or remarries and then changes her then existing surname.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption