My fiance wants to change his last name before we get married, which is in a month, is it doable?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My fiance wants to change his last name before we get married, which is in a month, is it doable?

As stated above my fianc and I are getting married April 16th and he is wanting to change his name to his adoptive parents last name. Can we get it changed in a month? If not should I wait to change my name till he has gotten all the paperwork done and the change is official?

Asked on March 14, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If all the paperwork if filed properly, you have all the records lined up, and the judge manages his docket properly... then it's tight, but doable.  If anything slacks in the process, then it could take a bit longer.  For example, we have one judge which has basically shut down his docket for a month because of an 'important' month long trial.  To know what's going on with your local courts, your fiance should visit with a local attorney to get a better pulse for how quickly it will actually be processed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption