If my fiance and I put a trailor that we own on his Mom and Dad’s property next door, can they tell us to leave since they own the land?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my fiance and I put a trailor that we own on his Mom and Dad’s property next door, can they tell us to leave since they own the land?

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease with them, they can only ask you to leave if you fail to pay rent, on the lease's expiration, if you violate the lease's terms in some significant way, or threaten/assault them or damage their property.

If you pay rent but don't have a written lease, they can give you 30 days notice to terminating your tenancy and that you have to leave; without a written lease, you are a month to month tenant. The could also make you leave for the same reasons you could be made to leave with a written lease.

If you don't pay rent and don't have a lease, you are guests, and they can ask you to leave at any time; you remain only so long as they give you permission to remain.

You can take your trailer if you have to go, assuming you are the owners.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption