What to do if my father’s pay is being shorted at work and his employer says it’s a mistake but it hasn’t been fixed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father’s pay is being shorted at work and his employer says it’s a mistake but it hasn’t been fixed?

He works for a small company and he’s been shorted several times over the past 6-8 months. It’s been mostly a few hours here and there, all of which he’s been told are just bookkeeping mistakes. This most recent time, it was an entire week. He’s very frustrated because he doesn’t think there is anything he can do, other than quit?

Asked on April 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He can sue his employer in small claoims court for his missing wages and/or file a comlpint with his state's department of labor. Further, it is illegal to fire someone for making a wage claim or otherwise disciplining them for doing so. This is known as "retaliation" and can give rise to a seperate claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption