What to do about a home equity loan and Chapter 13?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a home equity loan and Chapter 13?

My father willed me property, which includes a home equity loan in his name. I filed Chapter 13 and the payment for the loan is included in my claims. Am I protected from foreclosure for the 3 years I am in bankruptcy. The home is in probate .

Asked on September 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Until the lender that is presumably secured with a mortgage or a trust deed recorded on your father's former property files a motion for leave from the automatic stay under 11 U.S.C. section 362 with respect to your bankruptcy this lender will not be able to foreclose on this property assuming title to the property is in your name. If the home is in probate and not in your name, the lender who has a secured home equity loan on this property can foreclose upon it.

I suggest that you may wish to speak with a real estate attorney as to what can be done to protect this asset from a foreclosure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption