If my father was killed in a hit and run, is there a way to receive some type of compensation for his death?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father was killed in a hit and run, is there a way to receive some type of compensation for his death?

I am the oldest child of 3. What steps can I take to recieve compensation for his death? No one was charged.

Asked on July 17, 2010 under Personal Injury, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Even if no one was charged yet by the state, do you know who the hit and run driver was? If you know (or can find out) the perpetrator, you may be able to bring a wrongful death lawsuit against the driver, and/or possibly against the owner of the vehicle, if that's not the same person. Whether it would be you, as child, or possibly instead the administrator of your father's estate which would be able to bring the lawsuit will depend on circumstances. (If your father's wife is still alive, she could clearly bring the suit.) You should speak with a personal injury attorney to better understand your rights, your rememdies, the procedure and/or costs of any possible lawsuits, and what you might recover. Good luck, and please accept our sympathy for your family's loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption