Is there anyway that my stepmother can have me removed from a settlement that gave compensation for my father’s death?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anyway that my stepmother can have me removed from a settlement that gave compensation for my father’s death?

My father was killed by an ambulance and my stepmother sued the hospital and had me sign a “head of estate” document. Now that I have gone back to check what the status of the case is, it says that it has been settled before trial. However, when I look at some documents it only lists my brother and sister as his children.

Asked on January 5, 2015 under Personal Injury, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

PLEASE go and speak with an attorney as soon as you can.  If you were supported by your father in any way then you absolutely should have sued and received a portion of the settlement.  I am unclear what exactly you signed because what it was named and what it actually was may be two very different things.  get a copy and bring it with you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption