How can the net of kin redeem a pawn ticket?

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can the net of kin redeem a pawn ticket?

My father recently passed but before he did he pawn his bracelet and my mother is next of kin so she’s trying to pawn it out for me since its the only family heirloom we have of him. We have the pawn slip and he signed it but still the pawn shop is giving us a hard time. What are our rights?

Asked on November 16, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The reason that they are giving you a hard time is that they can really only release the goods to the person who pawned them or some one with authorization (which would be written to be good).  Since your Father has passed you can really only get the authorization needed from Probate Court by filing for probate letters. I do not know the rest of your situation and if you relly ned to probate the estate but you can get temporary letters for small estate or small estate affidavit if need be.  Go to the probate court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death and speak with the clerk.  They can not offer legal advice but they can indeed tell you the options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption