If my father purchased a home and other property while married to my mother, does she have legal rights to it?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father purchased a home and other property while married to my mother, does she have legal rights to it?

They were married for over 20 years and now divorced for over 4 years. My mother wasn’t aware of the properties until after the divorce was final; he kept that info from her. He purchased the house and moved in his mistress; the women that broke up the marriage. The home and other properties were purchased in the state where he now lives.

Asked on June 20, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


Ron Moore / Ron L. Moore, P.A.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This poses a host of issues. First, I suggest your mother consult with a domestic or family law attorney in the state where they were divorced. The marital property laws of that state  as well as the real estate laws of the state where the real property is located will come into play. Further, there may be issues of fraud and/or misrepresentation if he failed to make a full disclosure of all assets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption