What can I do if I want to make arrangements for after my death regarding property that I will inherit?

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I want to make arrangements for after my death regarding property that I will inherit?

My father passed away years back and his will allowed a lifetime estate on the house/farm to my Mother. When she passes away the house/farm is to be sold and divided between myself and 3 brothers. However, 2 of my brothers have passed away but prior to passing they made legal arrangements for their part of estate to go to other parties. I have had cancer and would like to make arrangements for my part of estate to go to a named party also. How do I go about getting this done and is there a legal term for this?

Asked on October 31, 2014 under Estate Planning, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, the legal term is a "will," and it directs the disposition of all property (and property interests) of a person at the time of her or her death. (Alternately, anything you currently own may be placed into a trust for the benefit of individuals or institutions [such as charities]). What you describe is fairly straightforward, but it is best to allow an attorney to draft the documents for you: if you describe to any attorney who handles trusts estates what you want, that lawyer should be able to reflect your wishes in a will (and/or a trust).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption