My father passed away without a Will in place, how do I become executor of his estate?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My father passed away without a Will in place, how do I become executor of his estate?

He didn’t leave anything except a bank account with less than $1,000 and a truck with $2,600 still owed

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your Father's estate would qualify under the Small Estate law in nevada, whih allows a person to do an expedited version of a probate for estates below $100,000.00.  There appears to be what is known as a Small Estate Affidavit permitted as well.  I would go to the probate court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death and speak with the clerks.  They can not give you legal advice but they are very helpful with forms, etc.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption