My father passed away. Now we have some details that need to be tied up.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My father passed away. Now we have some details that need to be tied up.

My father left no will behind, but he did leave an old junky truck and trailer. I’d like to rid myself of his run down trailer. The trailer park doesn’t want to deal with it. No estate has been declared, but I have taken care of his cremation and burial. Am I also responsible for his trailer? Do I need to call his auto insurance and creditors to close his accounts?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Estate Planning, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You'll need to go to the county courthouse and file an application for letters of administration.  You'll need a copy of your father's death certificate;  you'll have to fill out a form and pay some fees.  But that will give you the legal authority to deal with your father's things, and close his accounts.  For more information, you might want to consider talking to a lawyer in your area, for accurate advice based on all of the facts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption