What to do if my father passed away and my brother won’t let us know who the lawyer is or show us the trust paper work?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father passed away and my brother won’t let us know who the lawyer is or show us the trust paper work?

He passed away 4 months ago. Also, we haven’t even received any life insurance check yet. Is this legal?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are a beneficiary under your father's trust then you are entitled under your state's laws to have a copy of the trust and also be provided with the name, address and telephone number of the attorney who is handling the trust administration.

I would speak with your brother about the need to have this information and if not provided informally, then you need to write him as to the need for such. Keep a copy of the letter for future use.

If he still refuses to provide the information, you might have to hire a lawyer experienced in Wills and trusts to represent you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption