My father passed away in July. Do I have any rights to his property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My father passed away in July. Do I have any rights to his property?

I live in CT and my father lived in
Florida. He passed away in July. He
planned on leaving me a car and a
motorcycle but I don’t know if he had a
will. I have tried contacting family in
Florida with no luck.

Asked on January 26, 2017 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your father had a Will then that contols just how his estate is to be divided; you may are may not be listed as a beneficiary. If he had no Will, then he died "intestate" which means that the laws of his state will control the distribution of his assets. Typically, in such a case, any surviving spouse and the children of the deceased share in the estate (in just what percentages depends on specific state law; you can check online for further information).)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption