My father passed away a couple of years ago and had a car that I continued to make payments on but didn’t drive

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My father passed away a couple of years ago and had a car that I continued to make payments on but didn’t drive

My father passed away a couple of years ago. He was financing a car from Vystar. I continued to make the payments on the car and it sat in my driveway. After I realized I no longer needed to make those car payments, Vystar told me that we can return the car to them. I took out insurance from Progressive on the car because it was still in my driveway. Vystar filed a claim to Progressive that they want Progressive to fix the damage that my father had on the car before he passed. My father had a totally different insurance company when that damage occurred. I received a certified letter that I have to appear to make a statement under oath regarding this claim. Why would Progressive have to pay for the damage that was done years ago when the car was with a different insurance company? Do I have to appear and make a statement, and am I legally responsible for this damage to the car that my father did? He did not have a will or an executor.

Asked on October 14, 2016 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The issue is, *when* did the damage occur? If it occured during the time of the current policy, that insurer may have to pay. If it occured after your father's death, when you were the person controlling the car and with access to it, you (subject to any insurance you had) would be liable for the damage, since the person who damages property is liable for it. You say that the damage pre-dated your father's death and the new policy--but they don't have to simply believe you. They can investigate, which includes requiring you to make that statement under oath (which enhances its reliability, since you could be punished by the courts if it later turns you lied under oath). 
They can't compel you to appear unless they open a legal action and subpoena you. But if you don't appear and give the statement, they may do just that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption