What can I do to make the executor of my father’s estate sell the house ASAP?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to make the executor of my father’s estate sell the house ASAP?

My father passed away 8 years ago and my brother is the executor of the estate. He has settled most of it but will not sell the house. It now needs a roof and other repairs and he is asking us for money to repair it. We just want to have him sell it as is and split the proceeds. What are my options?

Asked on April 5, 2015 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Has he trasnferred the home to all of you (assuming that is how the Will went)?  Seek legal help about bringing an action for partition.  It is an action where a joint or co owner of an asset asks the court to split the asset equally.  In the case of the house it would be sold and the proceeds split.  If it has not been transferred you will need to bring the action in the Probate Court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption