How to transfer property of a deceased?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to transfer property of a deceased?

My father passed away 28 years ago without a Will. I was an adult at the time. The house was in my father and mother’s name. When he passed the house went to my mother and my 2 minor sisters. My mother recently passed away without a will. I am the Administrator of the Estate. We are in the process of selling home. Do my 2 adult sisters need to sign documents to sell house or just me since I am the AOE?

Asked on November 26, 2012 under Estate Planning, Georgia


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You will need a court order from the court to sell the property with the proceed to be distributed to your sisters. The title company will require that you have authority, and as I understand you, even though you are the administrator of the estate, you do not yet have an order from the court authorizing the sale asset and transfer of title. Obtain the services of a probate lawyer to assist you in this matter and smooth the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption