My father passed away 2 years ago without a Will, what happens if one of my siblings has died?

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My father passed away 2 years ago without a Will, what happens if one of my siblings has died?

I have 3 brothers, 2 still living with no spouses, 1 brother deceased his wife also deceased but they have 2 living children over the age of 21. If mre they entitled to 1/4 of the estate of my father?

Asked on February 4, 2015 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of intestate succession, if your father died without a will and had three living children and one deceased child at the time of his death, all the children would receive 1/4 each and the deceased son's children would inherit and share their father's share.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption