What to do if my father owns a condo that I am the sole inheritor of but it is not paid for and when I inherit it, I cannot rent it?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father owns a condo that I am the sole inheritor of but it is not paid for and when I inherit it, I cannot rent it?

This leaves me with a house payment, association fees and taxes on this unit until it can be sold. Can I give the condo back to the bank or can it hold me responsible for paying off the balance?

Asked on March 26, 2013 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can list the real property with a real estate agent to sell for you, or you can allow the bank to foreclose on the property when your father dies, and not make claim to the residence, unless you plan selling; in which case you will need to file a short petition into probate court based on affidavit you are entitled to inherit, identifying yourself as the sole heir, providing a certified death certificate, and if no opposition, then the court can award you the property. Obtain the services of a probate lawyer to assist you, if you plan on taking title to sell the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption