What to do if my father opened credit cards in my name, has not paid on the debt and now I’m being sueda the credit card company?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father opened credit cards in my name, has not paid on the debt and now I’m being sueda the credit card company?

What can I do to remove this debt from my name and avoid further legal action?

Asked on August 23, 2011 New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You'll have to establish to the credit card company that *you* were not the one who opened these accounts or took out these cards. That in turn means telling them that your father committed a form of fraud and/or theft. They will probably require that you contact the authorities, report your father, and look to press charges against him--they do this to make sure that what was done was in fact completely unauthorized, and that this is not simply an attempt to get out of a just or valid debt. Thus, if you're going to claim to them that this wasn't you need to be prepared to go all the way and treat this as the criminal matter that it, in point of fact, is. You can't do it halfway, so think about whether you are willing to accept the consequences before taking this step.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption