If my father just passed away and my brother will not show me the Will, where can I find a copy?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father just passed away and my brother will not show me the Will, where can I find a copy?

For some reason he will not show it to me. It’s not like there is a lot of money or anything really at stake here but I would just like to see it. Does he have to show it to me?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


Catherine Taylor / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you know the name of the attorney or the law firm who prepared the will for your father, I would contact them and request that a copy be sent to you. Generally, the administrator of the estate will inform all interested parties of what they will be receiving from the estate. If neither of those options are successful, you may have to file a petition with the probate court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption